Thursday, September 4, 2008

the waiting game

today i submitted my complete packet to t county to obtain my substitute teaching credential. i have now invested $150 in testing, fingerprinting, and other fees to get this far. i also inquired about childcare for e at the preschool. there is a spot available next month if i want it. the one upside to this gig is that i can work when i want, and not worry about missing a day-its a day to day type of job. that's a nice perk-considering i still want to do mommy stuff w/ the boys, and w/ mr. e. in a way, i can use this to my benefit and just work when there's not something going on. i also like the fact that this is a proactive step to helping my family overcome our recent financial pitfalls. so why am i so reluctant to do it now? sigh....maybe i'll feel better once i hear the pay from the different school districts. that's something i'll be working on tomorrow, if i get the chance. if not then, then that's on the top of my to-do list for tuesday when the boys are at preschool.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I was thinking about this last night. Will you actually make any money after the cost of paying for Daycare for Baby E?

I know you said it's 100.00 a day for subing and I am not sure what you pay for Day care for the baby, but I would make sure it was worth it moneywise. I'd hate to put Baby E in Daycare if the majority of the extra money you make, only went to paying for Daycare, YKWIM?

Just my two cents.

socialworkeratheart said...

The way I see it, we were able to pay for grad school and childcare for both older boys on R's salary alone, and while money was tight-it was because we were watching it, not because of debt. I figure I'd have to work 5 1/2 days per month alone to cover E's care. Anything over is profit. I'm not spending any more on gas and other expenses than I already am. I also have a local teacher friend in town who teaches nearby, and has offered to carpool w/ me if I am able to sub at her school (and she says there's always a need where she works, since its further out than most schools, and people don't always like to go out there). After the afternoon I just had, I'm willing to give it a shot-in a way I won't know if it works out if I never take a leap. The one thing I do know is that my role as mom comes first-so when my kids need me, they're my first priority. I'm just trying to help my family out the best way I know how.