Sunday, October 26, 2008

Things happen for a reason

You never know what the day ahead will bring. I truly believe that after today. We had a nice, relaxing morning at home. We had coffee, boys played, I sat outside with the kids all morning. While R was giving the kids lunch, I hopped online. Someone was freecycling Home & Garden show tickets for today-I requested them-if we got them great, if not, no biggie-I just knew we weren't going to pay $7 each for R and I to attend the event. I got them!


We loaded up the boys, complete with snacks and drinks, and made it out to pick up the tickets. We made it to the home show, and found free parking down the street from the event. Looking around, we saw some things that interested us. I told R I wanted to go by the cooking demonstration-it sounded like something M would like to watch.


We went there, and saw a chef make sweet potato pie. After the demonstration, R waited w/ the older boys for a sample, and I walked around with the baby, looking at the various displays. I heard my name called, and couldn't believe my eyes-it was a neighbor from my hometown! She was there w/ her daughter's home business-I knew her as the mom of one of my classmates from junior high and highschool, and a long time family friend (her husband was my brothers boy scout leader from the time they were 10 years old (and now they're 25 and 19), so you can see how long we've been in the same circle.


We spent time catching up on our lives, and it seems we've had our fair share of sorrow from our families-mine from my mom, and her's from her son and his xx-wife. Both of us are on opposite sides of the same coin when it comes to having children, wanting to have a relationship with grandchildren, and having a connection with your child/parent. My heart hurts for her, and at the same time reassured me that what my mom does is of her own doing. I can only control what I do, and nothing more.


I've been thinking lately about my own relationship with my children, how I want what's best for them, for me, how its all a huge juggling act. Sometimes I think I can barely hold my head above water, other times its a cake walk. Seeing the family friend today, reminds me that when its all said and done, our role as mothers and daughters never ends, it continues, evolves, grows. I am reminded how fragile relationships are, how bonds can cross blood lines. I never suspected that by talking with an old family friend, I would gain insight that would help me on my journey to make peace with my decisions. I'm not saying I can wipe the slate clean, but I can let go-and enjoy what I have, what I make of it, its my choice to do, and I won't feel ashamed of my choices or decisions-for I've always tried to live my life with the best of intentions.


All this, as a result of responding to a freecycle ad for tickets to the Home & Garden show.....

1 comment:

Kaylia Metcalfe said...

What a great thing to happen so out of the blue! Isn’t it nice when something sweet and unexpected comes along?

I love that you are thinking about your kids and what sorts of things will influence them… more parents need to do this.

: )