Thursday, August 21, 2008

the fine line of budgeting

I went off the deep end. I blew a gasket because R wanted oj for the house and for his office breakfast group. We never drink it at home, mainly because I can't stand to see how one gallon disappears in a day-if it lasts that long. I didn't mind him bringing something to work to share-that's part of the communal/team approach at his office. Instead, I bought some healthy 100% juice from the grocery store ($2 for 64 oz of cranberry juice, score!), and R was happy with the find.

Later, we went to Costco; I stayed with the kids while R ran in for a few items. He snuck in a two pack of oj. I was fuming. The cost was more than the oj at the store we had just come from, and I launched into this whole debate about why our kids don't need juice, I don't touch it (it goes back to it was always gone by the time I got to it at home), and he'd be the only one drinking it; not to mention that it would be gone in a day w/ the way he guzzles milk now. By the time we got home, my mood improved. The kids were quieter, and R and I talked about our impending trip to see his uncle. I relented about the juice issue because I knew my husband is stressed to the max, and really a thing of juice-I'll just skip a take out snack and make up the money difference. We go home, and then I notice it-its not even real oj, its some sort of other garbage. Sigh. I told dh if he really wanted oj, fine, but i'm not having this crap inside. We've been working too hard to have healthier stuff in the house-this would be a huge back step for us. So tomorrow, I'll return the garbage juice and get the real oj hubby craves. Heck, its the least I can do-everything else is just crazy right now.

No comments: