Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The LCSW plan

"It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow." —Robert H. Goddard

I started the beginning of reaching my new goal yesterday-finding out how to get my clinical license in social work yesterday. Considering that I've been thinking about where I want to work down the line, somewhere I'm passionate about, it seems that getting this license will help me achieve this outcome. Having a Master's Degree is a prerequisite, so at least I know getting my degree wasn't a waste of time or money well spent. It just appears that due to many factors-getting my license will just rank me higher compared to other applicants.

Since the most challenging part is finding a job anyways (with someone willing to provide supervision hours)-and I need two years of experience (104 weeks/3200 hours) to get my license, researching it now while Rebecca's a baby seems like a smart step. Who knows, by the time I find someone willing to supervise and find a job that works in my family's favor (both which need to happen in order for me to proceed) she could be in preschool-or maybe school. It takes a few months alone for the application to get processed, but just getting the ball rolling is something.

I was nervous poring over the BBS website yesterday-all the requirements, the licensing exam, its a lot to take in. The minimal fees did not scare me, we'll work that into our budget when its time to pay them. Yet, like with grad school, having a fourth child, running a half marathon, its all about facing my fears head on. I am a life long learner, that much I know. I just need to put one foot in front of the other, and remember, its all about the journey.

No comments: