Tuesday, July 1, 2008

the bigger picture

Before I pay the bills this month, I know things will be tight-only because by doing that, it'll make life easier to deal with in the long run. We've made some good choices along the way, and I foresee that helping us with making decisions later on. It should be noted that despite my best intentions, things will come up and a certain level of flexibility is needed.
Today was a perfect example of that. I belong to a hospitality group, and we bring dinner to those who either just had a new baby, had surgury, or for some other major reason, a cooked meal hits the spot. Its not often that we're called upon-but having been a recipient, I know the true value and meaning of it. This weekend, we got notice that a famiy was dealing w/ a death in a family, resulting in multiple generations having to reside in one roof, and a lot of legal, health, and emotional baggage. I volunteered, even though I didn't know them personally, my heart breaking for them. I forsaked a meal out w/ my family this month (about $30) so this family could have a hot meal brought to their home, so they could have the strength to face these new, unexpected challenges. Hubby wondered why I did it-and honestly, if we were in the same situation, I'd hope that someone would do something for us. Even if no one helped, at least I know that we eased the burden ever so slightly for one night. This puts all my complaints in perspective.

No comments: