Saturday, July 26, 2008

weekend update

The weekends seem longer when hubby works, and it seems when that happens, I'm more apt to spend money-whether its from mommy guilt, boredom, or just something fun that we want to do-money gets spent. Today was no different, but I tried to keep it in perspective-its a long long day when hubby works Sat, and there's only so much indoor hosue time I can handle w/ 3 young kids.
We started our day early-a family who's moving (sadly, because of a divorce) was having a yard sale, and I stopped by to see if there was anything worth buying. I picked up 3 Thomas the Train videos-the mom commented on how M would love them-that gave me a slight pang, since I know her son and M were friends at preschool. I also found a cute Gymboree sweater for E-I never buy him clothes-never-I have 2 older boys, but I really want to get him something for his 1 year pics (which really isn't that far off). Those items, combined w/ a large ziploc bag of construction people and equipment for the boys to share, set me back $4. I hit two other yard sales, the boys were quiet in the car, and didn't mind sitting since I knew what I was looking for-larger clothes for M, older child toys, a bike for M, and/or books for me. I found nothing, but still enjoyed looking.
Going to the first yard sale, seeing the for sale sign in the yard, it was harder than I thought to look-maybe because I knew the family? I almost turned away, but since they have boys older than ours, I thought they may have something that would appeal to me, and I thought I could turn aside my emotions, if just for a yard sale. Despite finding some good deals, the only feeling I came away w/ was sadness-sadness for the child who was friends w/ M-his parents have been separated since he was 2-switching back homes and toys, and everything that comes with it is all he's known. It's harder for the older son, who's now 6, he remembers what it was like having everyone under one roof. Seeing the maternity, travel, household items, that just reminds me that once this fractured couple was a family-evn if for a short time. Sigh-it just makes me hope that Dh and I will always work out our problems-I'd hate to go through everything this family has gone through. Sigh....
Onto happier events, I packed a lunch and took the boys to a water area at a park. It was empty when we arrived, and the boys had a fun time splashing around. I took their lead, and packed up when they both seemed ready and willing to go (that never happens!) We came home, and are enjoying a relatively quiet nap time. We're spending the afternoon at another mom's home, the boys will get another chance to splash around, and I'll enjoy some adult conversation. Before I know it, 4:30 will come around, and hubby will be home. I only hope I have the resolve to say lets eat at home. We shall see.....

No comments: