Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Life with 5

Tonight was an awesome night-all 3 kids went down, and all before 9:30pm. This may seem crazy late to some, but considering the youngest was up the latest, this is a good night :)
Now that I'm beyond the computer issue, I had the chance to watch one of my favorite tivo'd shows, Jon and Kate Pus Eight. I've watched the show, and can relate on so many levels, especially the being outnumbered by kids. At first it was all about survival and how was I going to get by, but as E is getting a little bit older, the fog has definitely begun to rise. I may complain about how hard it is to do stuff, but I think in the end, I love how chaotic our life is, how nothing is exactly perfect-its so us. There was something on the show about taking 2 hours to get changed/dealing w/ wet clothes, and in the back of my mind I thought-hmmm reminds me of this past weekend when I took the boys to the water park by myself. It was so hard on one level, but man, it felt really good knowing that I didn't stay inside just because I was alone. I know I was frustrated at times because I was outnumbered, but it was so fun to watch all of them laughing-and enjoying each other. The older boys asked me several times to go on the amusment rides, but I've begun to understand that my reluctance to go/do certain things, isn't about how many of us there are, but how pointless it is to spend money on things. I sincerely hope that continues. As it is, I think I have hubby trained on bringing basic drinks/snacks with us (knowing that if we run out, we can always buy more), because no matter how much money we have on us or in our accounts, we both cringe at the price for a drink at the park.
This episode also reaffirmed for me that when we're figuring out how we're going to go somewhere or do an activity, its not the having 3 children that we think about, its the fact that we have young children that we think about. This evening, my sister called to talk about the plans her and her boyfriend are making-wedding ideas to be specific. Now while this may cause financial concern among many, while we don't have an abundance of savings in our account, I know that when given the time to save, it wouldn't be a financial drain for us to go.
This episode also reminds me of how I want to take the 3 boys to Legoland or one of the smaller theme parks. I can't wait to go on rides, doing the photos, all the stuff that comes with traveling w/ kids. I know it won't be easy, but really, what is easy at this point? As long as I'm relaxed, that's all that matters. And watching a local mom with 4 kids under the age of 5 keep her cool, I know that's totally doable.

No comments: