Friday, March 25, 2011

Wisdom & growing up


I heard this song yesterday, and it reminds me of me at 17 and made me think of Rebecca in her car seat in the back of the van one day being that age. I'm in no rush to get there, but I know how time can pass by in a blink of an eye.

I've been having some grown up moments lately, and I don't know what to make of them. As separate events, they wouldn't amount to much-but together I feel like its showing growth. The hearing for the big D is next month, and I received paperwork for my dad. Felt great that he used my address-and hearing that he used mine because he knew I would get the paperwork to him-a grown up moment. My youngest brother bought a car-and the first words I thought were-Not a car payment, really? You have no debt-and have all your savings, yet you have a car payment? That and renting a place w/ his girlfriend-I'm not opposed to the idea-she seems like a sweet girl, yet I really hope they pay cash for the stuff they need, and know how to budget so they can save for a house, their future, paying for school w/o sinking into student loans. My other brother and I were talking about relationships and moving in with significant others, job stability, and kids...Yes all of that-stuff that I never saw us talking about seven years ago-but now we're both talking about planning-so we can enjoy life to the fullest.

Getting the life insurance exam itself yesterday was not a big deal-yet what it symbolizes is a huge deal. We're finally taking a huge weight off our shoulders-and we'll have enough to cover college for all four kids, pay off the house, and not have financial stress associated with losing a loved one. That's a huge grown up moment for me.

I'm looking forward to our staycation this year. Yes-a staycation-filled with day trips and gasp-maybe eating out. I love having Robert on board-we're going to see what interests the boys and make some plans around what they want to do. We joke how we prefer to eat at home (cheaper and healthier), but we have the coupon book and groupons to use, so between those we do have room in our budget for a couple of treats. Its just a matter of using those for meals out or something more exciting, like the Clovis Rodeo. So many choices :)

I was thinking today about Robert's 50th birthday next November (in 2012) I would love to take him on a getaway to celebrate (since we've talked about doing that for some time). I remember The best vacation ever story from FPU a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking BIG-and I want to fund it soley in cash. This is besides any trip we take this summer, or later this year. With careful planning we will be able to do as much as we want, and much more. He wants to see Garth Brooks at the Wynn in Las Vegas. I'm not at the point to buy tickets (although as pricey and sold out as they are, maybe I should look into that now). Still-thinking about it? Knowing that it can happen? Considering where we were when we had furloughs for the first time to now-such a grown up moment.

No comments: