Wednesday, March 13, 2013

On the other side

It has been a long hard road to get where we are at, and as I tell the boys, with freedom comes great responsibility. Yesterday was one of those days. I took Robert to meet with the financial adviser we were linked up with on Dave Ramsey's website, with trepidation and nervousness. It was my second meeting, but I knew I was still nervous, and knew it was a new experience for my husband. We left with more information than we could have thought possible, about what our retirement will look like, the potential for it, and gave gave us food for thought regarding how to save for four children's college educations. The possibilities are there, and the only thing I wish was that we had done this when Matthew was first born-but hindsight is 20/20.

The rest of the day/evening was fraught with concern-mainly my husband. As much as he's the spender in our family-he worries just as much when it comes to signing his name on something (i.e. the refinance paperwork). I appreciate his concern, and have to understand-or at least appreciate-that he cares enough to ask questions-because so much is at stake with whatever we decide to do. We're at a crossroads now-moving forward into uncharted territory for his side of the family (except his step-dad) and a different approach than what my parents took before the divorce. The whole concept of building a  legacy for our children-at least imparting them with the wisdom of our trials and tribulations is a huge responsibility. Its not one I take lightly, nor does Robert. We are just trying to do the best we can as we go along.

We'll go back in a couple of weeks to look at the mutual funds we can invest in, and make our decision on how much we want to invest. The financial adviser truly has the heart of a teacher, and understood how we couldn't sign/pay for anything today. It even struck a chord with me when he talked about how much I wanted to put into a Roth-and told me to be comfortable with it so it doesn't take something like the pizza money from our kids. Oh, to have pizza money for the kids-what a luxury that used to be back when we were first starting our financial journey-and now its shifted to having organic treats for the kids (same meaning).

What a journey this has been-mentally, spiritually, physically.

No comments: