Monday, October 24, 2011

Dream a little dream

It has been wonderful and crazy, time consuming and exhilarating, to have my mother in law, and dad, brother too, here over the weekend. It was a careful orchestration of going to Sacramento last week with Rebecca to pick up my MIL, come home, do all that needed to get done for Cub Scouts and soccer, school too, to chill and enjoy family. I love seeing my dad, and brother. Rebecca took to everyone well, some sooner than others, but that's to be expected. I had time with my MIL, alone, with Robert, and with the baby too. The children enjoyed seeing their grandparents, not only for Grandparent's Day, but for the weekend too. It was bittersweet bringing his mom home yesterday, but at least I didn't do it alone. Somehow going with the kids and Robert, time went by faster. The six hour trip was smoother than when I did it alone with the baby.

Robert and me grew closer this weekend, sometimes I wonder how that's possible, we've been together so long, or so it seems, yet seeing the old pictures up on his mom's walls, it reminds me how time flies. Time flies... There were bittersweet moments, like just why my dad is here this week, or Grandparent's Day, to know that while everything is not "perfect", nothing really is, but I'm grateful for what we do have.

Life is worth living, so I enjoyed that glass of wine I had the other night, the one I'm having now too. We had a blast with Cub Scouts at the dinner and camp-out. Soccer was fun the following morning. Our family has plans to acquire camping equipment, emergency preparedness necessities as part of the boys reaching their goals. My dad gave me a great lead on acquiring items from a friend back in the Bay Area, so we'll see how that pans out. I also have plans to acquire items through other means, so it will stretch out our dollars. As long as the kids have fun, and we're properly set up, its a win-win situation.

I have plans for Robert for his birthday, scoping out Las Vegas tickets (both plane and show), seeing what we want to do next year for his 50th birthday. We do have our share of concerns, what we want to do if/when his job ends, where that road will take us. Yet planning to do something for the two of us, no credit cards necessary, sounds sinfully sweet. Unheard of. Who goes to places like LV paid for before you step on a plane? I feel like the crazy woman with the cash envelope, biding my time for our vacation, the proceeds getting thicker, slowly at a time. So this birthday is on a smaller scale, but with grand plans for next year. We'll enjoy each other this year, and kick off the three birthdays that follow his own within a two week period. It'll be a birthday bonanza, but how fun that will be. Times like celebrating 4 birthdays in a two week period could be uber-stressful, or a lot of fun. I choose to have fun-never in my wildest dreams did I see myself with a large family, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. That's what I get for dreaming a little dream, and the reality is sweet.

No comments: