Thursday, August 11, 2011

Partners in parenting

Its Plank Pullin time! The one day a week that we strongly resolve to ignore the multitude of specks and sawdust around us and pull one bona fide plank from our own eye. Matthew 7:3-5, style.

Last night as Robert came home late from work, I was thankful that he was home. Not because he as safe and in one piece (although that did come second), but because I was tired. I was tired, Rebecca was tired, and I wanted someone home to share the load. Very few days are like that-maybe my patience is changing as my children are getting older but I'm used to having a level of exhaustion from having children. The boys were still up at the summertime hour of 9:30 p.m.-yet, I know with school approaching next week, early rising and early bedtime will come into play.

Yet this is where the plank comes out-I like being on my own too w/ the kids. How selfish does that sound? When its just the five of us, I get to decide what to do for the day, what we're eating, where we'll end up. No one looks twice (although the kids may pipe up) if the house gets gnarly looking-yet I somehow manage to pull it back together before Robert comes home. Yesterday was a prime example. The boys decided to make a fort-turned their room upside down with all the blankets spilling out into the living room-couch cushions too, it was a lovely fort-kept them entertained while I went back and forth between housework, reading a magazine, tending to the baby. I played too with them. It was fun. There was no one to tell us it had to get picked up-so we could get out, or do something, or because someone was coming home-except for me. Eventually it got done, but it was on my time (which has its own pros and cons).

I decided what we were going to have for lunch-and then surprised the boys with a trip to Sonic for happy hour slushies. We went to the grocery store-always a fun feat with four young children-filled with sideway glances from strangers who probably wonder why anyone would want to go to the store with four children. I do it because if I don't go alone-I'll have to wait until Robert gets home, and that's not always feasible-or desirable. Dinner was easy-because it was something that I chose-pancakes-and the boys were overjoyed. No requests for meat and potatoes, veggies, something hearty.

The cost of the day was minimal-yet I totally get that because my husband does the work he does, and there's money left over after bills, that we can do treats like this, and I can stay with my children. I love him for when he comes home, his pile of cover shirts, the familiar clunk of his law enforcement tools. It wouldn't be the same if I didn't see his size 13 shoes by the front door, his lunch cooler on the counter. I see the indent on the pillow where he slept-where I know he was the night before, and pray he'll do again tonight.

I may say I like being on my own with my children-but having a partner, one who is as involved as he can be-I wouldn't change that for the world.


So what are your planks? If you're feeling really inspired, write your own post and link up below! I promise not to point and laugh at your plank, just offer support and encouragement. (Don't forget to put the name of your post in the "name" box)



1 comment:

Jessica said...

It's funny how it's more exhausting, but also easier sometimes when the Husbands are away.