Monday, November 22, 2010

Grateful

I've been thinking about the concept of being grateful-with Thanksgiving next week, people have been posting about what they're thankful for, both big and small. I've also started to hear a lot more talk about the holidays, what people plan to do, where they intend to go, what they want to buy. Of course, hearing the radio, tv, reading the newspaper, internet blogs, magazines, etc.-its everywhere. I'm definitely not a bah-humbag type of person when it comes to the holidays-I think for me I see the religious connection, the meaning of the holidays-being with family, making memories, sharing time with others. I just can't put dollar amounts on that type of stuff-it doesn't work for me. I plug away-do my own thing, hope I'm instilling the values I want my children to have-while still letting them enjoy the holidays and knowing one day they may opt to do the complete opposite of what we do-it just is the way it is.

Right now though, I have an opportunity to help shape and guide them, while living our lives at home. Its our own sense of normal, and it works for us. The kids don't know any different-or if they do, seem unfazed by the differences within other families-I'm sure with time that will change. For right now, I'll just enjoy the ride.

So before the haze of babyhood hits-which has felt like anywhere from the next day to the next two weeks or so, depending on the hour, here is what made me grateful this weekend.
-Hanging out at home and playing pretend animals w/ E
-Going to the grocery store-and buying just what we need to get us through the week-all Thanksgiving meal items already bought (minus fresh produce/fruit)
-getting sleep-whether it was a nap mid morning, or during the afternoon-R helped w/ the kids so I could get some sleep that has eluded me at night
-coffee dates with friends-seeing women that I've known since we've all had our first babies, and our kids have all gone to different schools/different paths-its nice to still talk and meet up sans kids (although we've done it with them too)
-Tiger cubs-glad its a new part of our lives-not sure what to make of the schedule or how much participation is expected-but still ready and willing to take on a new activity, and have there be something special that R can do with our boys at this time in their lives.
-having the basics-knowing that we're going to donate this week to various causes just makes me appreciate what we have, and however tight it may be, still sharing with others who have less than us
-life-Someone on FB posted about a tragic car accident last night that just happened this weekend involving a student from my old high school-my heart breaks for the parents, and just makes me want to hug my boys and R. and family, and just live in the moment that we're alive and well.

All is well here, and don't foresee any problems. Life is a journey though, so we'll see how the rest of the month unfolds.

No comments: