Sunday, March 7, 2010

03/01-03/06

This week was a mixed week. I was sick towards the end of the weekend, so E and I missed our normal Monday morning playdate with friends. I know E knows something's missing when he says "friends, friends?" Its his way of saying are we going to our playgroup mom? A little rest was what I needed though, because the rest of the week kept me busy and on my toes. Eli pretended to be my dr., how sweet of him :)





Tuesday I subbed at a middle school, and gained a new appreciation for the teachers who work with youth. I also came home, ready to face my boys, and snuggle and appreciate their innocence. We had our Tuesday night playdate, and my friend brought over dinner for all us. I loved hanging out, and we browsed through a catalog of stamping stuff I had gotten from a friend.

Wednesday we missed out on Moms Club, because R had a follow up appointment for his ears. Praise G-d, his ears are back to normal. Whatever was going on a few months ago has cleared up-that's quite a relief considering we thought he was going to lose his hearing. On a somber note, on the way into Fresno, we saw over 50 police cars from all over our state en route to the memorial of the Fresno County Sheriff that was slain late last week. Adding to the somber mood, R's dr appointment was across the street from the church where the memorial was taking place. Seeing representatives from throughout the Department of Corrections pay their respects, at least with 100+ service vehicles, not to mention the outpouring of public support, it was a striking sight. It was sad and bittersweet, seeing how tightknit our community can become when tradedy strikes, and posed as a reminder for me on how our lives can change in an instant.

We took R to lunch (mystery shop) before dropping him off at school, and picking M at school, and then going to an afternoon playdate with friends. The boys had fun playing with swords, and the moms and I talked about our plans for Spring Break. This year is the first year that most of us had plans for break, so I think we're taking a week off from meeting during that time. It definitely is different though, because we all used to pick up and go and travel whenever the mood struck, because our lives were not dictated by work or school schedules. That said, I am looking forward to the week that M has off, in part because I have completely cleared my personal work calendar so we can all soak up the carefree time that is Spring Break. I have a few day trips planned, nothing extravegant, but it will be nice to break out of our normal routine.
E at lunch, loving his eggroll and chow mein

Day of shuttling between drop off, dr office, lunch, and drop off, pick up, pick up, gets to be a long day for the boys, but breaks in between with a playdate and having fun makes a world of difference






Thursday was a crazy day, filled with helping M's class, subbing in the afternoon, and completing mystery shops and audits before coming home. We then all took R to class, and waited in V town until his class was finished. The boys did remarkably well with all the driving we had to do, and were well behaved while we were out.

Friday was a long day, filled with mystery jobs and merchandising audits. R helped me w/ the boys so I could finish early, and it paid off. I was able to enjoy the evening, even though it ended early with all of us going to bed when the boys did.

When it was all said and done, I was ready for the weekend. R has asked me to slow down, he sees I'm getting tired, and somewhat burned out by all that is going on . While that is true, I'm finally seeing progess where it seemed like everything was at a standstill for so long, and that is energizing me. Last month I paid off the last payment of $733 for our hot water pipe re-route, meaning I've paid $3200 total since our November fiasco! I also paid off the $507 due for our mold clean up, and am now able to focus on paying for our pool equipment that was stolen last winter. We took care of our taxes at HR Block courtesy of a mystery shop last month, and besides getting our fees (and a fee for doing the shop) taken care of, we received a nice refund. The crazy thing for me is that we had changed our tax information last year, so I did not think we were getting any refund-just breaking even. This was a complete blesssing, because we're able to put money in savings, and use what I earn now to pay off what little debt we have left (the one outstanding credit card that was shredded, but put on the back burner since we had pay cuts). Being debt free (besides the house and car) by the time I turn 31 in August is definitely possible.

I see the strides we have taken, and despite all that we have faced (pay cuts, illness, unexpected home repairs) we are truly blessed for just being able to provide for ourselves. I took the boys to the food bank again last week for our monthly donation, and G asked me why we were doing it. I told him that even though we have enough to feed ourselves and pay our bills, not everyone does, and the food bank in town helps those who need help. He said they don't have enough food, and I said no, and that's why we give to help out. He looked at me, and said we should go to the store and get more for them-sweet boy, we do that every week when we do our shopping with coupons and at the grocery outlet and dollar store.

Now to enjoy the rest of the weekend, hopefully prepping the backyard for our garden and playing outside.

No comments: