Saturday, January 2, 2010

January 01, 2010

The day started off with a bang-6 am wake up!
The weather was beautiful, so we piled into the minivan for a spontanuous trip to the National Sequoia Forest. I was not sure about chain requirements, but the weather was clear, and we figured a change of scenery was needed. The 1 1/2 hour trip went by fast, and the boys were busy looking at the change of scenery and talking amongst themselves. I got to show Robert the place where I took the boys last summer. It was crazy how fast the water was going, and how high the water level was. It was awe inspiring.


Matthew thought it would be fun to lift a boulder-ha!

The kids had fun playing in the sandy cove, Robert had fun w/ Elijah, and the boys loved watching the water gush through the mountainside



Half way to the sequioas (and already in the Sequoia National Park), tire chains became a requirement. We don't have any, so we pulled over to an outlook and let the boys see the snow, and look around. Robert talked to some people surveying the land, and learned of a new project to widen the road to make it safer for people traveling through the road. Believe me, after driving 2 hours on the twisty windy roads, I was glad to hear about this project!





By the time we got done hiking, the kids were done, but I wanted to check out another path. R stayed at the foot of a path, and I walked a minute into it to see if it was anything we should check out. It was, and I took a few pictures that caught my eye. The kids had other plans-to be super tired, and I decided we saw enough for one day.


The drive home was quiet, and I loved the twisty roads, if only for the clear weather and good road conditions. Everyone slept on the way home, and I saw some places I want to go back to-and I'm sure we will in the months ahead. I'm so glad we bought the year pass to the National Forests, and R's game for heading out.

The rest of the day was spent at home, with a late lunch and movie. I enjoyed a nap, and a late walk with the kids around the neighborhood.



Off to bed at a decent hour for all of us; it was a relaxing, fun family day.

No comments: