Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009-Lessons learned

2009 has been quite a year. We've had laughter and tears, love and heartache, and through it all, I've learned many things about myself. The lessson I've learned the most is how I have the ability to be resiliant. I've adjusted and finetuned how we live, how I conduct myself, only to backpedal, and then take time to refocus and adapt to whatever situation presents itself. Its been an uphill battle at times, full of emotion, but I'm still standing today. I've had my share of personal demons, ones with my mom, those as a result of friendships that came to a close, and through it all, I see that life does not end. As my husband and dear friends have told me, you dust yourself off, and keep going foward. Life doesn't end because people don't want you in their life. They have their own demons they need to work out.

So this year has been a roller coaster. Am I, and my family, any better off than we were this time last year? I'd like to think so, even as we have more problems with the house. I paid off two large outstanding debts from last year, and although we gained a new, unexpected debt with our hot water leak, and another with the vandelism of our pool equipment, one will be paid off in March, and another paid off by May. Life was changed when R had his series of paycuts, and who knows what lies on the horizon. I know without a doubt we'll deal with the hand we're dealt, and make the best of it.

It has been far from an easy road, but I like to think we've learned a lot about what's important this year. Letting go of material objects, realizing how fortunate and blessed of a life we lead, to have our health, our minds, and our able bodies. Personally, I'm on an ongoing quest to reprioritize what is important to me, which is certainly different than it was in my twenties. This half year of being thirty has been a comfortable period-I'm more secure in my decisions, marching to my own drum. Some friendships have ended, and others have blossomed. I've learned I don't have time for negativity, and I need to not only take care of my children, but of my own life. I cannot control anything but my own actions. So hats off to this year, it has been turbulent, but I am grateful for the lessons it taught me, so that I can experience the year yet to come.

No comments: