Saturday, October 17, 2009

Dates

Sometimes its hard to believe how time passes by, until a birthday or anniversary approaches. This is how it is today as I sit here this afternoon. Today is symbolic for a few reasons, first of a horrible earthquake that rattled our state twenty years ago. I remember where I was, how I was living, and how my family was at the time. Its a bit surreal this anniversary, if only because I realize that M is the same age my sister was when the quake hit-that and his telling me about doing an earthquake drill at school yesterday. Its also the anniversary of when R and I accepted the keys to our first home, set with a five month old baby on my hip. Strange to think how I knew way back then it wouldn't be long before we were settled in, had our family, and send our kids to the schools here in town. Five years later, we have three busy boys runnng around, and while its busy, I wouldn't have it any other way. Life has a funny way of working itself out.

This week was busy, so was last week, and the week before. We had pumpkin patch field trips, soccer practice, PTA meeting, helping out at school, sick kids too, and more filling up our days. Nights are spent doing homework and cuddling, while R is finishing up work or at school. Before you know it, its the weekend again, soccer games, family time, it all has a way of coming and going. I'm glad we live where we do-and the progress we've made to surround ourselves with support, especially as we enter this new chapter with school aged children.

There's more I want to accomplish-always more-but this week R told me to slow down-how to do that, its not my way. I thrive on being busy, but I'm trying to take time for myself, like with a mom's night in last week-that was so much fun, for the conversations from moms who have older children, what lies next for us as our kids get older, and the wisdom they impart about how they take time for themselves, and how marriages evolve. I'm going to work on it though, so I can enjoy what I have built, and what's yet to be built for years to come.

So five years ago, we moved in, a ton of boxes and a little boy tucked an infant car seat. Now we have a kindergartner, one in pre-k, and one in preschool. I can't wait to see what the next five years bring.



Matthew in his car seat (the first day we had our keys!)
Robert in the empty house!

Still looking for the pic of us w/ the sold sign to our home (the one w/ me in it!)...

No comments: