Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Growing up

This week has been a whirlwind, and so it seems this is going to be our life for the umpteen years ahead. Last night as I readied for bed, I thought how crazy today would be-its a new chapter in our lives as a family, as parents, and for our children.

We had parent orientation this morning, followed by meet the teacher with Matthew, and soccer this evening. I was nervous about how it would go, what is expected of us as parents, what's expected of our child, and how well this school would fit with us. Its part of a charter school district, and this school consists of one grade level (and all the students will move together, to each school as they progress through the grades), so there is flexibility in how things are done, while exceeding the requirements of the state. I was a bit nervous to hear about first book reports, special projects, and family activities, but then again, Matthew's ready. He's ready to learn, ready to explore, ready to develop a broader sense of the world. I can't hold him back, nor do I want to. I asked him this morning, as I have several times throughout the summer about taking the bus to school. My child, the one who runs up to me after preschool, big grin on his face, wants to take the bus in the morning. I asked him again, saying "Don't you want mommy to take you-No, I want to take the bus with my friends." I filled out the form for bussing, and will hand it to Matthew's teacher in the morning. If it doesn't work out, then I'll take him. In the meantime, I'll walk him around the corner to the bus stop and wait with the other parents who live nearby.

Meanwhile, at school there are many familiar faces (thanks to preschool) and many new ones too. We met several parents, and I ran into a mom I know in town. Our boys are next door to each other, so we'll see each other at pick up time. I sent my paperwork to be a parent volunteer in the classroom, and applied to be a room mom. I also applied to be in the PTA and the council who volunteers in the district. So many volunteer opportunities, I wonder how its going to pan out. I know I need this though, its in my nature to get involved, plus I really want to impact what's done in our district.

I loved Matthew's teacher. She's been teaching for 25 years, and I've heard rave reviews from people at soccer practice to the teachers at preschool, about her teaching methods and personality. She's personable, approachable, willing to work with parents and children, and is enthusiastic about teaching children. I feel confident about her, and Matthew was relaxed in the classroom, and reluctant to leave when it was time to go, I know he felt comfortable there too.


Tomorrow is going to be an emotional day, that I know. It feels like just yesterday I was pregnant with him while in grad school, and then pushing him across campus in his stroller. Now its his turn. He's always talking about bein a big kid now, and I know its time to let him go, he's ready to explore. Time to turn the page, and celebrate this unwritten chapter, and all the stories yet to come.







1 comment:

Melanie said...

Welcome to the next chapter. I am facing all the same things you are. PTA, Boosters, helping out in the classroom, etc. Overwhelming and exciting. And so we step into the future and see what it holds for us!!

I hope that Matthew had another great day today at school!