Wednesday, April 1, 2009

This is who I am

Yesterday I showed the world who I was. I opened my pantry, my fridge, for all to see. Was it all neat and tidy like I had envisioned? Not even close, but it was real. R was the best supporter, helped with the kids so I could interview in peace. I love that man-he knows when I really need him. The tv segment will air in May-the tv reporter is due with her second child in a few weeks (gosh, she looked tiny!) so this was something she's trying to get wrapped up before maternity leave next week. She was in awe of the receipt, the food, how passionate I was about saving money.

It was an amazing experience, one that caused me to evaluate myself, how I'm living at almost 30 years old. I've been contemplating whether to dive back into substitute teaching next fall-it's been helpful this year, but I'm not sure I want to go back and continue it. M is going to be in school, and G and E are going to be in preschool. Do I really want to continue on the same path? I'm going to keep it open-no telling what will happen with R's job (I continually worry when R goes to work-hearing about police involved shootings doesn't help), and I know I need an outlet-otherwise I'll go crazy. I'm contemplating how I can combine my current focus on saving money with helping others less fortunate, maybe that's something I can work on to meld my interests until I find a work environment that's right for our family.

Before I go, here are some pictures of the pantry-mind you, its not all neat and tidy like I had envisioned, and you only see half of the items (just think double rows of what's behind the first row), and yet there's still stuff I couldn't take pictures of (because there's no sense to my ordering under the stove, but I have more canned/boxed goods there too), nor does it show the health and beauty items I have stockpiled too, but its an indication of why our weekly grocery shopping is so inexpensive.













1 comment:

Melanie said...

The big 30. Man did it throw me for a loop. I hope you have an easy transition to the next decade of your life.

I am so glad that everything went well for you yesterday. What an exciting thing to have happen to you. I can't wait to see you on TV!