Tuesday, March 17, 2009

room for mistakes

Yesterday I had grand plans-make dinner, let the boys play outside until dark, and read a book until R came home from school. However, needing to run an unplanned evening errand threw a wrench in that plan. The boys complained of hunger, and I was out of snacks in my bag. Like any good mom, you want to feed your kids when they're hungry, so I pulled through the drive thru of McDonalds. Two items off the dollar menu and two cups of water later, we're up and running back home. The Jack in the Box coupon was still in my purse, but I was determined that although I bought the boys a snack/something to hold them over until dinner, I could wait to eat until we returned home. Once home, we went for a long walk, the boys energized by the fresh air and setting sun. While Sprout played on tv afterwards, I prepped and cooked the fajita pie I intended to have for dinner (which is now lunch). The boys didn't ask for it, since I gave them fruit to eat when we came home. Cuddle time and books followed, and we all fell asleep early.

While I will continue to strive towards eating at home, I know life happens. I did what I needed to do to make life easier, while at the same time remained conscious of the fact that I could give in a little or give in a lot. I chose a little, but it still weighs on me-even though I know we have room for error, it's not something I want to do. All I can do is move forward, so now that I laid out my error, I'm going to pick up where I left off. We've made a lot of headway in the past 6 weeks, no reason to fall completely off the wagon :-)

No comments: