Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas: part one

Yesterday was a laid back Christmas Eve. The boys and I stayed home all day. We spent the day playing with toys, I caught up on laundry, I baked, we played some more. We made pancakes and sausage for lunch. All was well in our house. R came home after 3, the boys played some more. R took M to the children's service at church at 5pm; we all would have gone, but since none of the boys took afternoon naps, I thought it was best that I stay home with the younger ones. No sooner does R leave, but both younger ones decide to take a much needed nap. I enjoyed my peace and quiet w/ a glass of wine and a TIVO'd show.

When R and M came home, we had a relaxed dinner of tamales. G slept most the evening, woke up once or twice, and then nodded off again for good at 9pm. E was just as mellow. R and I went to bed early too, since we didn't know when the boys would get up.

This morning I woke at 5-my internal clock decided it was time for mom to rise. I made the breakfast muffins, set up coffee, and put out the presents. Of all days, the boys decide to sleep in until almost 7 am! Even mentioning Christmas and Santa-still no one budged. G was the first to rise at 7 am-I told him to take a peek in the living room, since Santa had visited, he wimpered that he was scared to go in there alone. He honestly didn't want to go in! When I showed him the presents and stockings, he didn't seem thrilled, or suprised, or much of anything. The only thing my son wanted was breakfast! Sigh. As for M, once he woke a half hour later, he wanted to see what Santa brought him. We spent the next half hour opening gifts. Most were the toys I bought, except for three small items from my dad and his girlfriend. They sent the boys a pair of walkie talkies, batteries (always a parent favorite!) and a music toy for E. W/ all that, the biggest hit-the stuff from the dollar store! The kids were thrilled with the cars, and the police and fire fighter action figure sets. The kids wanted to play with that stuff, and the games that I bought, well, those were cast to the side. Goes to show-the simplist (and cheapest) of toys can be favorites!

We had planned on surprising my MIL and SIL and her children this morning. R called over there to make sure they were still home, and R heard everyone in the house is in some stage of having the flu-his sister is just now getting over it, and his mom woke up feeling ill this morning. Hearing all that canceled our plans. We did let MIL in on our intent, and wished her well, and told her we'd come again, maybe on New Years Day. In the meantime, we'll spend the day at home, relaxing and watching movies. We have the ham for dinner, and I'll make mashed potatos and an apple crumble for dessert.

The boys are busy playing, R is watching tv, and E is taking a nap. I think I'll take advantage of the peace and read a magazine. Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday!

1 comment:

Jilse said...

I'm sorry that you had to cancel your plans to see R's mom but at least she wasn't dissapointed by your not coming since you were going to surprise her. Maybe you can surprise her with a trip another time. It's too bad she was coming down with the flu.

It sounds like you had a wonderfully relaxing day and that the boys enjoyed their stocking stuffers. I hope that the rest of your weekend is as enjoyable for you all.