Monday, November 17, 2008

November update

Where have I been~normally I post throughout the week, but this month has been crazy busy! I guess that's a good thing-it helps that we have a lot going on, and not all of it is costing us a fortune. I picked up a thre day sub job that ended today-that was a sweet gig, and I'm already missing having the certainty of work. At the same time, I love the flexibility of not necessarily having to go to work 5 days a week, so on that end, I know I'm not quite ready to go back to work full time.

This weekend we spent time in my childhood stomping grounds. It had a different feel this time-it was 4 years this past October that we moved here, and now coming home, it really felt like we were home. My boys, while they get how excited Mommy is to go to San Jose, I don't think they truly get how I feel-(and I don't even want to think about them moving away from this home just yet!). Then again, maybe it was the frat house environment that has become my sister's apartment, since my two younger brothers moved in over the summer.

We survived, if only w/ bringing our own blankets and pillows (and next time our towels too!). I lucked out, picking up breakfast foods at the grocery for us-the boys woke up early, and somehow having two grown men in a house all week (my sister is only there on the weekends), you would think there would be something in the fridge-nope. The boys were just happy to have a tv/ and played outside w/ anything that wasn't necessarily a toy.

Our picture session went awesome. The location was beautiful, an unconventional spot (a business' side yard), and the kids, well, I don't think they really got that it was supposed to be a photo session-since they were having a blast playing outside. After our session, we let the boys play w/ our photographers' children-their daughter and son are both three months older than each of our younger two boys. Through conversations with both parents, I realize how we are fortunate to have each other. This economy is touching everyone, and leaves no one unscathed. We talkd about adding to each of our families, and I found it interesting to me how the mom felt she wasn't complete w/o having baby #3, and even though she knows that now isn't the best time (her husband is in the police academy, money is super tight, and stress is at an all time high), she's not closing that door-because she doesn't feel complete. I could relate-I think that's how I felt before having baby E. Even now, its hard to believe we're done having babies, but until that door is permanently shut (hint, w/ a "v"), then opportunity always exists to add to our brood.

On Sunday we ventured to San Francisco for Green Festival w/ my sister, her fiance, and the boys. We had free tickets (otherwise it was $10 per adult) and took Bart ($10 per adult, kids 4 and under were free) to save ourselves the headache of gas and parking. I must say, taking 3 young children on public transportation was quite an adventure. The boys loved it, they were well behaved, and it was a great experience. I would do this type of transportation again in a heartbeat for any of our trips-no matter how hard it was, it was inexpensive and a great learning opportunity, and it was easier carrying our stuff than having to travel back and forth to a car parked miles and miles away. Another perk, if we had issues w/ the boys, we would have just taken the train back-having our car, it wouldn't have made meltdowns or bad weather less problematic.

The place was beyond packed, and at times it was impossible to move more than 10 feet in five minutes, but we learned so much about our world that it was worth it. It didn't matter that the older boys were in and out of the double stroller all day, or that Elijah demanded to be carried a lot, it was doable. I can honestly say I had a good time, even if I didn't stop at every single booth-that's what the online resources for the fair are for! R and I talked about it on the way home-we definitely could manage on our own w/ all three of the boys at something like this. It just takes patience, being open to the unexpected, and a sense of going with the flow. We didn't leave the fest until after 2:30, and didn't get back to the train station until 4.

We stopped at a park nearby for another hour, and my sister took some great pictures for me to use for our family holiday card. Even w/ us all tired and not matching (those shirts being cast aside w/ the unusually warm weather), it looked great. I think we're more relaxed, and the word authentic comes to mind. It was how we are, a family of five, with three boys and relaxed smiles, crinkled brows, and fingers in mouths (courtesy of E).

We came home at 9pm last night, and it was a nice time to get home. Unpacking was a breeze, kids were still drowsy (they slept the whole way home!) and still crawled into bed for a full night's sleep. R and I were up w/ no problems at 5am this morning, ready to face the day. We'll hit the bed early tonight, but at least we enjoyed our visit. At the end of the day, that's what counts :-)

1 comment:

Melanie said...

It sounds like you all had a great trip!! I am so glad that the picture session turned out good, both at the park, and the professional session. I can't wait to see your holiday card now! Isn't it great to be at the point where taking the boys out to busy places isn't as much of a challenge as maybe it was in the past. I am happy to hear about your trip, I've been checking all day to read the details.