Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bring on the birthdays!

I really think having three birthdays in November is going to be cake :) We started off our birthday celebration yesterday, celebrating R's birthday. Over breakfast, the boys and I gave R his brithday photo book. R started to tear up as soon as he saw the inside picture (of him standing next to the assembled baby crib). Tears continued as he saw pictures of him w/ M, G, and E during their baby days, and I could tell that he really, really like it. Consindering how inexpensive this gift was to the others I've given over the years, it just goes to show the amount you spend on a gift doesn't equate the joy you get from it.

R got a huge cake at work, and his officemates decorated his office. We took pictures of it for prosperity, and will place that aside in R's scrapbook.

In the afternoon, I deposited the boys piggy bank money into each of their savings accounts. I also opened E's account-and the bank manager was shocked that we had an account for each child. I told him while I wish we had our own finances in order, I was glad that we at least had savings for each child.

Later that evening, I told R that instead of buying the boys presents for their birthday, I rather put money in their bank account to use for future expenses. I still want to celebrate their day, but focus on time and making memories instead of toys-speaking for myself, I cannot remember getting a toy and having that be a highlight of a celebration-instead, I remember spending time w/ my parents and siblings, and sometimes friends too, and doing something fun. I want to instill that in my own children too.

We hired a sitter last night, and went to the Elephant Bar for adult food and conversation. We splurged-if only by sharing an appetizer and entree, we each had a delish alcoholic drink too. That was the most expensive part of the day, if only because our sitter cost as much as our food. Oh well, we're used to it, since we don't have R's family or my siblings to watch the boys for us.

Today is a fun filled day for G and the family. R has the day off, so we made breakfast at home, and are planning on going together to a park for a playdate w/ a local mom's club. After that we're going to check out a Veteran's Day celebration near by, and possibly go to a national forest an hour away. Veterans and their families get free admission today; R has his Veterans of Foreign War card, so we might take advantage and make a day trip. R also gets a free car wash, not sure if it's in F or V town, but we may take advantage of that too. Its a tiny token for what really is an important holiday. We'll wrap up today by heading to our local cemetary, which is adorned with flags on veterans headstones. Its quite a sight, and its been a tradition of ours to go there every year since we moved here. I think its important for the boys to learn about the importance of the day, not just as a day off from school/work.

Remember our Vets today-without them, we wouldn't have the freedom to decide how we live our lives.

No comments: