Wednesday, June 11, 2008

blowing off steam

I got an email from a local mom I know-her husband was laid off two weeks ago, and they're trying to figure out how to make the best of the situation. She's a SAHP to their 3 kids, have a relatively new car (thanks to kid #3), and a nice house. While I know her husband is in an unrelated field to hubby's (computers vs. public safety) it makes me very nervous. This was something they weren't prepared for, and frankly, I know we're not prepared for something, anything like that to happen here. Its reassuring to know we have savings, but hell, it doesn't take much to wipe that out.

I've made changes in the way we live our lives. Eating at home, not using the a/c unless necessary, staying at home to reduce the need of filling up our gas tank more than once every 4-5 days. I'm used to those changes, I know there's more we could cut. It really comes down to whether or not we do it. Dave Ramsey comes to mind "Live like no one else so you can live like no one else later". I've thought about working part time, someone's blog gave me an idea, time to check out the local area here and see if there's anything available.

I'm exasperated. Maybe it'd be different if my 2 1/2 year old went to bed before 10pm, unlike the past week. I'm off to spend time w/the kids.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I hear you. It's scary these days. It's happened to us before. Mr.Man and I had put money down on a house, and then within that same month he was laid off without warning from his job. The whole company closed down 6 months later.

It was tough and we ended up living with my in-laws but we were both working at the time, and without kids. I can't imagine how scary it would be if it happened to us now, with a mortgage, bills, and debt up the wazoo. Talk about terrifying.

Good luck on your hunt for a part-time job. Maybe one of us will get something half-way decent somewhere that will work with our family life, and our schedules.