Friday, March 7, 2008

clearing out the closets

I've had many things given to me over time that for one reason or another were not being used by me or my family members. Listing stuff on ebay is a great way to see if anyone else wants your stuff, as the saying goes, one man's junk is another's treasure. I'm not one for overspending/overbuying as much as I used to when my kids were little, or when I was a first time mom. In fact, the amount of money I have spent has gone down-thanks to a rotating supply of hand-me-downs, thrift-store finds, and gifts from family and friends. I know one day this too shall end, but its not like my children really care that deeply about the style of clothes they wear, nor do they have brand recognition. On the other hand, I do, so that helps me when I'm going places to see what I want to purchase. I'm hoping this helps more than hurts my intentions.

For example, today I went to Goodwill. I found 8 Gymboree items that were in excellent used condition-some boys, some girls. The boys stuff is easy-what one child doesn't wear, another can. As for the girls, I'm going to try and sell it on ebay. The least that can happen is that it won't sell-I didn't spend a fortune on those items. I can always pass them onto several moms I know that would appreciate them.

Some may wonder why I even bothered buying clothes to sell considering I've been doing as much as possible to reduce our expenses. My frame of mind was that it for the amount of money I invested into thes clothes, I could turn it into a profit with miniml effort. If it works out, great. If not, then its one more experience I have, and I'll move forward in my quest to get ahead. I'm not one for sitting idly by-I want to be a team player when it comes to bringing in some money, even though I'm staying at home right now.

No comments: